Oh, I see, you thought I was going to start out the new year with a totally wholesome, healthy, guilt-free recipe? Not quite, although there’s really no need to feel guilty about eating these. The fiberful whole grain oats, monounsaturated peanut butter fats, and antioxidant-packed cocoa make up for the sugar and vegan margarine. They’re also super-quick and -easy, and the instant gratification factor is high since no baking is required.
My good friend Brandon shared this recipe with me, and challenged me to make it vegan but keep the awesome taste that got him addicted to making these. I am happy to report that I succeeded, and earned his characteristically difficult-to-acquire seal of approval.
Per serving: 174 calories, 7.3g fat (1g sat), 25.6g carbs, 2g fiber, 3g protein
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Earth Balance
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 3 cups quick oats
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper.
- In a medium saucepan, bring margarine, sugar, cocoa, and soymilk to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute 30 seconds.
- Stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and oats.
- You can either drop by spoonfuls onto the waxed paper, or dump the whole mess on there and spread it out like a cookie pizza.
- Let cool at least slightly before slicing and munching.
The longer you wait, the more solid they will become. If you just can’t help yourself (we couldn’t), be prepared for a slightly sticky and pliable cookie experience. Not that there’s anything at all wrong with that.