I admit, this is one of those all-vegan-food-blogs-have-one recipes, but everyone needs a good scrambled tofu in their repertoire. The only way I ever liked eggs was scrambled, but considering I’m a tofu fiend, I find scrambled tofu to be even tastier. There’s also something incomparably satisfying to me about a savory breakfast (I think I eat too much cereal), so this really hit the spot after a hard morning workout.
Per serving: 175 calories, 9.6g fat (1g sat), 12.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 13.2g protein
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small (or 1/2 medium) onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen edamame
- 1/4 cup frozen corn
- 5-6 white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pkg. (12-14 oz.) extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine the cumin, thyme, turmeric, and salt in a small bowl. Add 3 Tbsp water, mix, and set aside. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add all remaining vegetables...
- ...and stir to combine.
- Break the tofu apart into bite-size pieces, add to the pan, and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring often. You want to make sure the tofu doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. It should be at least partially browned, but you don’t need to be too precise about it. Add splashes of water if it does start to stick.
- Add the reserved spice mixture and stir to combine. Add the nutritional yeast and pepper. Cook and stir for about 5 more minutes, then serve while still warm.
The spices in this really sing to me (I looove cumin), but you can change them up if you’d like. Same with the veggies; choose your own adventure. Scrambled tofu is a vegan classic; you have to try it at least once!