As Matt’s and my one year anniversary approached, I had numerous ideas running through my head as to what celebratory baked good I could present to him. I was saddened, though, to learn that he had to leave town on business that very day! My visions of towering cakes and dreams of elaborate desserts were dashed, and my mind turned to simpler, more portable treats. I altered this recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance to my liking (and to include Tempt hemp milk, my new mini-obsession), and sent Matt off on his trip with a bunch of these muffins in his bag. They’re no mocha devastation cake, but they were tasty nonetheless.
Per muffin: 209 calories, 9.6g fat (2g sat), 30.7g carbs, 3g fiber, 2.5g protein
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup hemp milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 Tbsp soy or coconut milk yogurt
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 12-cup muffin pan (or a 24-cup mini muffin pan). In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Living Harvest had sent me a coupon to try their new Tempt hemp products, so I’d picked up a container of their unsweetened original hemp milk. I enjoyed the taste on its own – smooth, full-bodied, and mild in flavor – and I was eager to try it in a recipe. These muffins were the perfect vehicle.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the hemp milk, sugar, oil, yogurt, applesauce, coffee powder, and vanilla. (You can certainly use soy or almond milk in place of the hemp milk!)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. I made some mini muffins for me...
- ...and some regular-size muffins for Matt.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes (or 14-18 minutes for minis), until a toothpick comes out clean.
The rich, creamy hemp milk worked beautifully in this recipe (though substitution possibilities abound). There’s only a whisper of coffee in these, with the mild chocolate flavor taking center stage, studded with melty little pockets of chocolate chips. They made a perfect anniversary airplane snack for my honey!