In my recent Xagave review, I briefly touched on the controversy that’s been swirling around agave nectar. It seems even those of us who are undecided on agave have been seeking out alternative liquid sweeteners, for variety if nothing else. Most people have tried honey and maple syrup. Some may have tried coconut nectar. But how about date syrup?
Organics Are For Everyone makes the only widely available date syrup on the market today, and it’s certified organic, vegan, and 100% gluten- and dairy-free. When they sent me a couple jars to try out, my sweet tooth rejoiced!
Since dates are a fruit, date syrup automatically has a leg up on the competition when it comes to health benefits. Packed with potassium, magnesium, and iron, it makes a great addition to a pre- or post-workout smoothie. Its rich and complex flavor makes it a perfect maple syrup substitute atop pancakes or waffles. Stir it into oatmeal, drizzle it on ice cream, or use it to sweeten baked goods—it’s a wonderful alternative sweetener across the board.
I couldn’t resist mixing it with my beloved nut butter, and since I know how much everyone loves chocolate, I decided to make…fudge!
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 2 Tbsp date syrup
- 2 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- .5 oz. white chocolate (or add’l dark), chopped
- In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients over low heat. (By the way, you can use peanut butter in place of the almond butter if you want.)
- Stir until melted. Since I only had a couple ounces of dark chocolate on hand, I decided to add a half ounce of white chocolate, but feel free to use dark chocolate for all 2.5 ounces.
- When the mixture is almost all melted, remove from the heat. You can add 1/8 tsp of vanilla extract and/or a pinch of sea salt at this point if you want, but you don’t have to. Pour into a greased pan of some sort; I divided mine between two 4-oz. ramekins.
- Refrigerate until set. Sorry for the outrageously bad photo here, but I wanted to show you this one because I think it looks like a chocolate hockey puck. Yummiest hockey puck I’ve ever seen!
- When chilled, cut into four (or fewer) portions. Seriously, this stuff is rich!
Asyou can see, I left a few shards of white chocolate in mine (instead of stirring it until completely uniform). The date syrup worked SO well in this—it provided sweetness without overpowering the chocolate flavor. I’m thinking this will be a great little dessert to bring to a party or gathering this holiday season!
ALMOST VEGAN MINI-GIVEAWAY
I’m calling this a “mini-giveaway” because, unlike my other giveaways, there won’t be multiple chances to enter. One entry per person! The prize, however, is NOT “mini”—TWO winners will each receive a 10-oz. jar of Organics Are For Everyone date syrup!
HOW TO ENTER: The one and only method of entry is to follow these three steps:
1. “Like” Organics Are For Everyone on Facebook.
2. Leave a comment on their wall saying that Almost Vegan sent you.
Example: I want to try your date syrup—count me in on the giveaway from Almost Vegan!
3. Come back here and leave a comment below saying that you completed the above steps!
It won’t count for extra entries, but while you’re at it, feel free to follow Organics Are For Everyone on Twitter. And if you haven’t already, be sure to “like” Almost Vegan on Facebook and follow Almost Vegan on Twitter!
The deadline for entries is next Monday morning, October 18th, 2010 at 9:00am CST.
This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. (Sorry foreign friends!)
I’ll be choosing the winner at random. GOOD LUCK!