News & Notes
- The amazing Allyson over at Manifest Vegan reviewed Practically Raw this week—click here to see what she has to say about the book!
- Free recipe alert! I shared the Purple Pearberry Smoothie from Practically Raw yesterday on the Living Harvest Foods blog.
- Big thanks to Dallas Vegan Roundup for sharing my Sugar-Free Strawberry Coconut Butter in their May newsletter!
- Do you own Practically Raw yet? Do you love it?! The Amazon reviews have been trickling in slowly, but I’d love to bump them (and my book’s ranking) up just a bit. If you have a free moment, please leave a positive review on the book’s Amazon page.
I have had a rough week, folks. The medication I’ve been taking to kill my H. pylori stomach infection has sent my immune system spiraling out of control—I’m exhausted no matter how much I sleep, I’ve been in tears by the end of every day, and I’ve bloated up like a balloon…I must have gained 10 MORE lbs in the last two weeks (I have a belly the size of a 6-months-pregnant woman right now; hopefully much of it is water weight…). It got so bad that we had to discontinue the medication, and now we just have to hope that I was on it long enough to kill the “bad guys.” I’ll know for sure when I re-test next week.
Anyway, enough of that. (I don’t particularly like sharing that stuff, but a lot of people have asked how I’m doing, so I felt like an update was in order.) During my otherwise-craptastic week, these little cake balls were a bright spot. Nutrition-wise, they’re almost too good to be true…but they’re 100% real. Enjoy!
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Sugar-Free, High-Protein, RawPer ball: 78 calories, 2.4g fat (1g sat), 4.8g carbs, 2g fiber, 10.7g protein
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla protein powder (like Sunwarrior)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 6 to 8 tablespoons water
- Liquid stevia to taste (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the protein powder, coconut flour and oil, and 6 tablespoons water and stir very well to combine (the mixture will be extremely thick). If it becomes too dry to mix properly, add more water, a tablespoon at a time (you may add up to 2 more tablespoons). Taste for sweetness and add some stevia, if desired.
- Roll the mixture into four small balls and refrigerate until firm.
They may not be the prettiest little snacks in the world, but they sure are tasty.
Flavor-wise, the Sunwarrior ball (see above) was my favorite, but texture-wise, the PlantFusion ball (see below) was the best. In the end, it’s a toss-up! I’m sure these would be great with any good-tasting vanilla protein powder you have on hand.
And they really do taste like cake batter! These are best the day they’re made, so I love that the batch yield is nice and small.
The stellar nutritional profile (just LOOK at all that plant-based protein!) even lets me pop two at a time with zero guilt.
3 years ago this week…
2 years ago this week…
1 year ago this week…