Hello, 2013! I hope you all had a lovely holiday season. Matt and I just returned from our honeymoon, and we’re already back to the grind…c’est la vie!
I know a great many of you are embarking on a New Year’s detox as we speak (my juice cleanse reviews have been getting heavy traffic this week), and you may be thinking desserts are something you need to avoid at all costs this month. I disagree! There are so many ways to make healthy treats (I wrote a whole book of ‘em, after all), and I for one don’t feel satisfied unless I get to have something sweet each day. I created these cleanse-friendly bites to straddle the line between healthfulness and indulgence (as I so love to do): they’re packed with nutritious ingredients and superfood power but they taste sinfully rich.
True to their name, these brownie batter balls contain a little of everything. I keep a rather humongous stash of various Navitas Naturals superfood powders on hand at all times (let’s call a spade a spade, I’m a superfood junkie), and am always looking for new ways to use them. “Why not put a few of them in…brownies?!” I thought recently—and I did just that. You don’t have to have all the ingredients called for to make these, though—sub in your favorite superfood powders, or replace them all with your favorite nondairy protein powder. There are no rules here!
These tasty morsels make amazing travel snacks. They soften up after being out of the fridge for awhile, but they still hold together, and taste especially tender-delicious at room temperature.
Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Soy-Free, Oil-Free, Sugar-Free, Low-Fat, RawPer ball: 135 calories, 5.4g fat (1g sat), 21.8g carbs, 3g fiber, 3.7g protein
- 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts and/or seeds
- 1/4 cup nondairy protein powder (like Sunwarrior)
- 1 tablespoon lucuma powder
- 1 tablespoon mesquite powder
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon wheatgrass powder
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- Big pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup diced dried figs
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 cups pitted dates
- Place the nuts and seeds (I used a combination of sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, sacha inchi seeds, and macadamia nuts) in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse into coarse crumbs.
- Add all the superfood powders and the sea salt…
- …and pulse to combine. Add the cacao powder and pulse several more times, until incorporated.
- Add the diced figs, raisins, and 1 cup of the dates.
- Pulse until well-combined. Add the remaining cup of dates and pulse until the mixture is sticky and uniformly combined.
- It should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
- Scoop the mixture up, about 1.5 tablespoons at a time, and roll into balls. Place the balls on a nonstick sheet or a plate lined with waxed paper.
- Refrigerate until firm. Store in the fridge.
Who am I kidding, I can’t wait until these are all firmed up before I begin snacking on them!
Delightfully moist, yet sugar- and oil-free, these superfood-packed treats may be the most nutritious possible way to cure a brownie craving.